Iguig Calvary Hills and a Parish of Saint James the Greater ( San Antonio de Galicia) Located about 16 kilometers from Tuguegarao City, Province of Cagayan Valley.
Calvary Hills is one of the best attraction in Cagayan Valley Province. The major attraction are the larger-than-life-size concrete station of the cross depicting Jesus Christ suffering before his death at Mount Calvary. The place also features three centuries old Dominican convent ruins.
This is also one of the most photographs place in the province. The hills have view of the wide and mighty Cagayan River and the surrounding country side.
This truly present as spectacular landscape for photographer, as well as for visitors.
The river can be reach via the stairways at the back of the church.
The sprawling beauty of the garden, provide the perfect setting for prayer, meditation, soul searching as well as photo op.
Station of the Cross or Way of the Cross
In latin Via Crucis also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrow or simply The Way. It refers to the depiction of the final hour (or Passion) of Jesus Christ, and the devotion commemorating the Passion.
There are two form of way of the cross
1 .The traditional form
2.The scriptural way
The traditional form:
1. Jesus is condemned to death.
2. Jesus is given His Cross.
3. Jesus fall for the first time.
4. Jesus meet His mother.
5. Simon of Cyrene carries the cross.
6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
7. Jesus fall the second time.
8. Jesus meets the daughter of Jerusalem.
9. Jesus fall the third time.
10. Jesus stripped of His garments
11. Crucifixion – Jesus nailed to cross.
12. Jesus died on the cross.
13. Jesus body removed from the cross.
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered by incense.
Out of the fourteen traditional station of the cross only eight have clear scriptural foundation. The station three, four, six, seven and eight are not specifically attested in the gospels.
The Scriptural Way of the Cross
1. Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane
2. Jesus betrayed by Judas and arrested.
3. Jesus condemned by the Sanhedrin.
5. Jesus judged by Pilate .
6. Jesus scourged and crowned with thorns .
7. Jesus take up His cross.
8. Jesus helped by Simon to carry His cross.
9. Jesus meets the women of Israel.
10. Jesus crucified .
11. Jesus promise His kingdom to the repentant thief.
12. Jesus entrust Mary and John to each other.
13 Jesus died on the cross.
14. Jesus laid in tomb.
The object of the station is to help the faithful to make the spiritual pilgrimage of prayer through meditating upon the scenes of Christ suffering and and death, It has become one of the most popular devotion of the Roman Catholic. It is carried out by passing from station to station with certain prayer and meditation.
The Free Encyclopedia